Saturday, October 6, 2018

Joel Ellis 
CH. 3 Claire Bishop's Installation Art 

        As a nighttime performer, I have always felt and seen the effects of light and sound on people of all walks of life and races. Being from the islands I have experienced almost total darkness, when the light goes out and there are no streetlights, and no back up generator. You would have to feel yourself around the house; feeling with your hands for walls, counters, tables, chairs, various obstacles and inside draws feeling for a candle and a match. This experience is gives you an eerie feeling. I agree with Roger Caillois, when he said,” [dark space] does not spread out before me but touches me directly, envelops me, embraces me, even penetrates me completely, passes through me, so that one could almost say that while the ego is permeable by darkness it is not permeable by light”. http://amper.ped.muni.cz/~jonas/knihy/10_instalace_jako_strategie/Claire%20Bishop,%20Installation%20Art.pdf   (Web.10/6/18)
        I do agree with “Lucan”, that mirrors do show the reflections of ourselves not only of out physical self but our inner self as well, and that it can be unpleasant and even disturbing as well, especially looking through the eyes. 
       I believe in the statement when Barthes says,” Ido not consider cinema to be solely the film itself, but the whole 'cinema-situation': the dark hall, the 'inoccupation of bodies' within it, viewers cocooned in their seats. Unlike television, whose domestic space holds no erotic charge, cinema's urban darkness is anonymous, and exciting”.http://amper.ped.muni.cz/~jonas/knihy/10_instalace_jako_strategie/Claire%20Bishop,%20Installation%20Art.pdf    (Web.10/6/18).
        This is what I also look forward to when I go to a Cinema, along with the hot dogs and popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment